Volunteer role | Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)
- Have a sincere concern for children and a desire to help abused and neglected children maintain stability and permanency (main qualification)
- Must be 21 years of age and a United States citizen
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Be willing to travel throughout the state on CASA related business
- Be able to maintain objectivity when gathering information
- Be able to communicate and write effectively, essential skills necessary for the preparation of court reports
- Be able to work independently
- Responsible to the CASA Director and the CASA Volunteer Supervisor
- Gather facts, including review of all records related to an assigned case
- Interview the parties, establish and maintain contact with the child, family, social workers, attorneys and other individuals involved in planning for the child when appropriate
- Submit written reports to the court summarizing relevant information and making specific recommendations for what's in the child’s best interest
- Appear at scheduled court hearings
- Monitor Court Orders to ensure compliance by all parties
- The CASA is expected to commit to the case for 12-18 months, at a minimum, or, preferably, until permanency is achieved.
- Although most scheduling is flexible and arranged by the CASA at his or her convenience, the CASA must be available to confer with the Gwinnett County Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS) and other professionals involved in the case during workday hours. The CASA should attend daytime Gwinnett County Juvenile Court hearings approximately every six months.
- Each prospective CASA volunteer is required to attend 30 hours of training that include 10 hours of court observation.
- In addition, several in-service training workshops are offered throughout the year; these count toward the required 12 hours of mandatory continuing education.
- The fully trained and screened volunteer will be sworn-in by a Gwinnett County Juvenile Court judge prior to the assignment of his or her first case.